Committee

Meetings are held on the second Tuesday of each month at Haas Park starting at 6:30 pm.

We are always looking for volunteers! If you're interested in helping with our events, park maintenance, public art, or other great ideas for the dog park, please feel free to join us at the meetings, or email us at logansquaredogpark@gmail.com

To keep in touch with our events and news, Subscribe to The Logan Square Dog Park Email List

* indicates required
Email Format

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, November 11, 2016

Meeting at Haas Park

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Jose Espejo, Dan Spargur, Roxann Ruiz, Anna Huls, and Beth Peterson

Treasurer's Report - no change

Maintenance update - park is in need of pea gravel. We will purchase in the spring.
Water has been shut off.

2017 Board Elections - the committee will meet to elect new officers in January or February.

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Meeting at Haas Park

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Jose Espejo, Dan Spargur, Roxann Ruiz, Anna Huls, and Beth Peterson


Treasurer's Report:  20,283.66
Outstanding bills include $1,000 to be paid out for paint and supplies.
Artists have been paid in full.

The committee voted to retain Friend of the Parks as its fiscal agent.

September 25 picnic in the park event will be from 12 -3. We will grill hot dogs and enjoy a day at the park. 

Maintenance - we will meet to clean up the park prior to the picnic. We will purchase pea gravel in the spring and plant more trees.


Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Meeting at Haas Park

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Jose Espejo, Dan Spargur, Roxann Ruiz and Beth Peterson

Treasurer's Report:  No change other than $600.00 payment from Sarah Maxwell.  

Mural:  Waiting for pictures from two people.  

Maintenance:  Additional pea gravel, brooms, drain, storage shed & locks all discussed.

Moving forward with training sessions in the Park; starting with Alex Mickley from ACTIVE! Dog Daycare and Boarding, Sarah Koppel (referred by Anna) and Roger.  Discussed anniversary party and ribbon cutting tentatively scheduled for August 28th.  Farmers Market day is tentatively scheduled for July 17th with August 7th as a back up; we will need volunteers.

Next meeting:  Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Special meeting to discuss mural project - Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Extensive mural discussion

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, February 24, 2016

Meeting at The Logan Theater

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Jose Espejo, Dan Spargur, Roxann Ruiz, Sean Huls, Anna Huls

No Treasurer's Report.  Balance of the meeting focused on the mural project.  Jose will reach out to IDO regarding priming the wall.  We need to send the plan from Any Squared to IDOT, which we should have by March 9th.  We need exterior spray paint and house paint donations.  Continue uploading pictures to Dropbox.  

Next meeting:  Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at Any Squared  

Special meeting to discuss mural project - Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at Any Squared, 2328 N. Milwaukee Avenue

Extensive mural discussion

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Meeting at Haas Park

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Jose Espejo, Dan Spargur, Roxann Ruiz

Also joining our meeting to discuss the mural project:  James, Artist, Flash/Gabriel, Tracy & Gretchen from Any Squared

Entire meeting was devoted to the mural project.  Tracy will create an agenda, outline and list of materials needed.  The committee will work on gathering community volunteers.  Pictures of dogs will be collected and put in a Dropbox account.  We also discussed primer, sealer and stipends for the artists.

Special meeting to discuss mural project - Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at Any Squared, 2328 N. Milwaukee Avenue

Next full committee meeting:  Tuesday, February 24, 2016 at The Logan Theater

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Meeting at Haas Park

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Jose Espejo, Dan Spargur, Roxann Ruiz

Treasurer's Report:  No change

Tree planting recap:  all went well!  10 trees planted at a cost of $1,000.00.  Volunteers planted and watered; possibly plant more next year.

Discussion regarding winter maintenance and clean up schedule.  Sally will email Joe Henry and Janice Taylor regarding garbage pick up.

We also discussed dog training and education at the Park in the spring.  

Holiday party is planned for Sunday, January 17, 2016 at Quenchers.  We need to get quotes for food.  

Next meeting:  Tuesday, January 12, 2106 at Haas Park

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, October  13, 2015

Meeting at The Logan Bar

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Jose Espejo, Dan Spargur, Roxann Ruiz

Note:  Meeting was abbreviated due to Cubs playoff game

Next meeting:  Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at Haas Park

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Meeting at Haas Park

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Jose Espejo, Dan Spargur and Roxann Ruiz

Treasurer's Report - Jose reported the balance is $36,600+

Construction/maintenance update:  Discussion regarding equipment and accessories needed

Also discussed grant to plant trees; Dan to complete application.  Any Squared is excited about the mural project; estimate is $4,000.00; Roxann to reach out.  Sally to obtain parade permit for Bartober party.  Volunteer schedule on Facebook?

Next meeting:  October 13, 2015 at The Logan Bar  

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Meeting at Haas Park

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Jose Espejo, Dan Spargur, Roxann Ruiz, Anna Huls and Beth Peterson

Treasurer's Report - Jose presented a bank statement, dated July 31, 2015, showing balance of $34,511.81

Construction update:  Park is expected to open this weekend; we have the Mike Doody plaque and we need someone to install it.

Grand opening:  Discussion surrounding options for the event, i.e. can we block street, serve alcohol which vendors to invite, other fundraising options, etc.  Committee also discussed having an impromptu meeting, closer to August 30th, to wrap up the final details.


Mural:  No update

Next meeting:  Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Meeting at Haas Park

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Jose Espejo, Dan Spargur and Roxann Ruiz

Treasurer's Report - No change from last month

Recap of Farmer's Market:  Kim Pool, Dan Spargur and Roxann Ruiz staffed our booth for the day; market was very well-attended; we talked to a lot of people; collected $69.00 in donations.


Grand opening:  Celebration/fundraiser will take place on Sunday, August 30th, 2:00PM to 6:00PM.  Committee decided vendors would be invited to participate for a $20 donation; food trucks will be invited to participate in exchange for a percentage of their take that day. Discussion on fliers and event tee shirt design.  We will request a permit to block off Artesian for the party.  We will begin promotion on social media and reaching out to potential vendors immediately.

Mural:  Committee decided to invite AnySquared to next meeting.

Next meeting:  Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Meeting at Haas Park
In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Jose Espejo, Dan Spargur and Anna Huls

Treasurer's Report - No change from last month.

Mural Update:  Need to compile list of donors, raffle winners.  Roxann to talk to people with AnySquared.

Construction Update:  On schedule; no problems or delays to report.

Elections were held and officers installed:
Kim Pool - President
Sally Hamann - Past President
Roxann Ruiz - Vice President
Dan Spargur - Secretary
Jose Espejo - Treasurer

Grand opening:  Committee agreed grand opening will be mostly celebration, part fundraiser and discussed elements to include--food trucks, vendors, photo booth, 50/50 raffle, etc.; also discussed plaque for Mike Doody.

Farmer's Market:  Set for June 28th; need to confirm volunteer schedule.

Next meeting:  Tuesday, July 14, 2015


Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Meeting at Haas Park

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Jose Espejo, Beth Peterson, Anna Huls, Sean Huls, Justin Jahnke, Roxann Ruiz, Elise Doody-Jones, Melissa Ramirez

Treasurer's Report - $34,442.81 in the bank.

Construction Update: Construction fence is up and tree was removed. Sally will take photos to share with the community.

Mural Update: Roxann is going to talk to the AnySquared folks about costs and timeline. We will contact IDOT to let them know our plans.

Dog Park Opening: When we have a confirmed opening date we plan to have a big party at the park. When construction progresses we will start planning.

Farmer's Market: Anna reserved June 28 for us. We will have a table. Call out to volunteers to man the table will begin soon.

Elections: We will vote next month. Nominations for committee positions are:
Kim Pool - President
Sally Hamman - Past President
Roxann Ruiz - Vice President
Dan Spargur - Secretary
Jose Espejo - Treasurer

Anyone who wants to run for a position must do so by May 26.

Logan Square Dog Park Public Meeting – Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Meeting at Haas Park

Chicago Park District representatives were on hand to unveil plans for the new park. Construction is set to begin on May 1, 2015, if all necessary paperwork is submitted. Friedler Construction was the low bidder with the bid coming in at $293,668. Since the park secured $340,000 in Open Space Impact Fee funds back in 2012, thanks to then Alderman Rey Colon, there will be money in reserve for any unforeseen expenses. Three alternatives were included in the bid, which are: dog-themed stamped concrete, three benches, and a community bulletin board. 

The committee members requested a memorial plaque to be installed in the park for our friend and supporter Mike Doody who passed away suddenly last year. We also asked that a concrete pad be poured, which will be used for a shed for maintenance supplies.

Construction will take approximately 90 days. 

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Meeting at Haas Park

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Jose Espejo, Beth Peterson, Anna Huls, Sean Huls, Justin Jahnke, Dylan Fredrickson

Meeting Minutes

Treasurer's Report: We have $34,417.81 in funds raised to date.

Randy Durussell from the Chicago Park District let us know that he sent out a request for proposals on the park and bids are due the second week in March. The committee decided to wait to proceed with any events or elections until after bids are received.

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Meeting at Haas Park

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Jose Espejo, Beth Peterson, Anna Huls, Melissa Ramirez

Meeting Minutes:

Pints for Pups was very successful. Thanks to everyone's hard work, we brought in $2,724.29 after expenses. 

We were given an update about the Chicago Park Dist. bids. The bids came in high and over what the park dist. expected so they are going to send the project out to rebid. We're not sure when that will take place. Randy at the park dist. said the project is out of the design phase but there were three bidders and all three were came in high. They are looking through the line items and may delete some of the park features in order to keep costs down. Although this is disappointing news, the committee remains optimistic that the park district will move forward on our project soon.

Residents have reported a lot of broken glass at the park. We will hold a clean up day on October 4 with October 5 being the rain date.

Active! Dog Daycare generously agreed to have a Barktober event again this year with proceeds going to the dog park. 

Roxann Ruiz stepped up and volunteered to take on the role of Vice President of the committee.

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Meeting at Haas Park

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Jose Espejo, Beth Peterson, April Thomas

Meeting Minutes:

Everything is all set for the Pints for Pups event. We will all arrive early to set up and organize.

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Meeting at Haas Park

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Jose Espejo, Anna Huls, Beth Peterson, Roxann Ruiz

Meeting Minutes:

The cost of flyers for the Pints for Pups event will be $75.

We will finalize P4P plans during the next meeting.

We will not be participating in the Bucktown Arts Fest this year.

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Meeting at Haas Park

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Jose Espejo, Adam Bickel, Beth Peterson, Roxann Ruiz

Meeting Minutes:

Jose will reorder buttons and a new banner.

Pints for Pups event is underway and on schedule. We will work on getting auction items.

We will purchase an Easy Up tent and a 6' table to use at events.

We will look into the cost of a shed.

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Meeting at Haas Park

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Dan Spargur, Kim Pool, Jose Espejo, Ognjen Grubor, Beth Peterson, Melissa Ramirez 

Meeting Minutes

We will have a clean up day on May 3 since the weather is getting nicer.

Jose will give us a list of donors who get a spot on the mural and their name on a plaque. We will start moving forward with mural plans.

Pints for Pups will be held at Dunlay's on August 16. April is the point person on this event.

Treasurer reports $30,478.00 in funds.

Elections were postponed.
  
Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, March 12, 2014

Meeting at Haas Park

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Jose Espejo, Mike Doody, Beth Peterson, Roxann Ruiz

Meeting Minutes

The quarterly newsletter will be created and sent out by Kim. 

The treasurer reports funds of $29,972.05.

The March 22 event at Logan Pets is being planned. Roxanne will work the sign-in table, Jose will meet and greet visitors, Mike is working on food and beverages. Cafe Con Leche and Half Italian are kind enough to donate food for the party.

Beth is going to look into the benefits of an online auction. This may be a way to raise additional funds.

We will talk about elections at the next meeting.
Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Meeting at Haas Park

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Dan Spargur, Kim Pool, Sean Huls, Anna Huls, Jose Espejo, Mike Doody

Meeting Minutes

Anna went to a Bingo night at Hamburger Mary's and thought we might want to do this. We could sponsor a bingo night at a local bar, if possible. We'll look into it.

On March 22, we are going to have an open house/volunteer drive at Logan Pets. The committee is in desperate need of new volunteers and we believe this will create some exposure for the park. This will be a dog friendly event with snacks and drinks. There will be an after party at The Harding Tap and Logan Pets will be giving away a free stay at their beautiful facility.

We have many events scheduled so far this year, such as Pints for Pups, Bucktown Arts Festival, Farmer's Market table, Halloween parade and holiday party.

The quarterly newsletter is being created and will go out to everyone at the end of March.

Treasurer's Report: We will update the fire hydrant graphic on our website to reflect the money we have earned to date.  

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Meeting at Haas Park

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Dan Spargur, Kim Pool, Roxann Ruiz,  Beth Peterson, Jose Espejo, Alex Mickeley, Paul Herrera, April Thomas

Meeting Minutes

Treasurer’s Report: Jose Espejo reported we have $27,576 in the bank. The bank statements will be sent over to Friends of the Park and Chicago Park District.

Alex and Paul from Active! Dog Daycare and Boarding attended tonight’s meeting. They are planning to host a fundraiser for the dog park at their facility. They are hoping to have over 40 guests. The event will be promoted on our social media platforms and all other outlets.

The Halloween parade has been cancelled.

December 5, we will have a holiday party at Integrative Petcare at7 pm. We need to get started on this.

We will create a quarterly newsletter to send out to all who subscribe.

EPA Grant: Dan and Roxann are still working on this.

Beth is working on a video for the park.

Maintenance reports that the park district’s lawn mower continuously cuts the temporary fence. We will have to repair this so it lasts through the winter.

We will get new signs/banners to hang at the dog park. We think we should add the words “Coming Soon” to the banner because some folks think the park in completed.

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Meeting at Haas Park

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Jose Espejo, Kim Pool, Dan Spargur, Roxann Ruiz, Mike Doody, Joe DeCarlo

Meeting Minutes

Treasurer's Report $27,650

We need to thank Earl from Quencher's for being such a great host for our Pints for Pups event.

The community donated a total of $330 at the Bucktown Arts Fest. 

The Halloween Parade will be October 19. 

We are teaming up with Active Daycare and Dog Boarding on Diversey to hold a training, dog care and health seminar. This will be on October 26. Active is working on getting a bunch of different vendors to set up booths. More details to follow.

We are working with Integrated Pet Care to host our holiday party. This will be the first week of December. More details to follow.

It was decided that any business that donates time or services will be thanked properly on our social media platforms. We appreciate the Logan Square businesses that want to help us reach our goal and we will be happy to provide them with some free publicity. If anyone has any concerns about the information that is posted they should contact Sally Hamann, the president of the dog park committee.

Sally and Mike will work on our database.

Dan will begin to create a quarterly newsletter to be sent out to the contacts in our database. He will create the content and send it to the board for approval before distribution.

There is an EPA grant that the dog park might qualify for. Dan and Roxanne and taking the lead on this. They will  meet with landscape architects that will be able to tell us if this grant is a possibility. 

We will get a new banner for the dog park to replace the old one. "Coming Soon" will be added to the banner to let the visitors know the park is not completed.

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Meeting at Haas Park

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Jose Espejo, Kim Pool, Dan Spargur, Roxann Ruiz, Melissa Ramirez, Jenny Steward, Seth Steward, Beth Peterson, and Victoria Johnson

Meeting Minutes

The event at Quencher's was successful. We had a lot of walk ins. Earl from Quencher's is a big supporter of the dog park and we appreciate all he's done. The next event we have we will put up more posters and send an email blast to our supporters.

We need volunteers for the Bucktown Arts Fest.

Haas Park Halloween Fest will be October 19. The parade will start at the dog park and will go to Haas Park for games and prizes.

We received a list of businesses in the area from Ald. Colon. We will reach out to all on the list to ask for donations.

Beth Peterson will be working on creating a promotional video. We looked into Kickstarter but decided it wasn't for us.

We need new signs and branding at the park. Some people seem to think the park is completed because there is a fence up. We need a sign that says, "Coming Soon!"

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Meeting at St. John Berchman’s

Meeting Minutes

The Treasurer reports the LSDP has $24,280.

Pints 4 Pups is scheduled for Quenchers on August 10, 2013.  Details need to be finalized including time, cost and what’s included in the cost, before the posters can be made.  Sean will update last year’s poster with that info as soon as it is available.  Each committee member in encouraged to bring at least one silent auction item and we need to get the template for the bid sheets and someone to put them together for this year.  Jose wants to have a meeting on this soon.

Bucktown Arts Fest will be coordinated by Jose.  Chris will loan his tent.  Jose will create a schedule for people to volunteer in the next couple of days.

Pup Crawl, June 25 at Mahoney’s Pub & Grille, was foiled by weather and the Blackhawks.  But also by our lack of advertising.  Notice about this event did not get on Aldermen's newsletter or on local list servs and a notice was sent out late to our own yahoo group and nothing to our gmail list group. Facebook seemed to be the only advertising done.

The Farmers Market was a big success.  We added 100 names to our list, found volunteers in West Bucktown, gave out a bunch of buttons and fliers and raised about $250 dollars

Fundraising

Alderman Letters were reviewed at the meeting and some changes made.  We want to ask the aldermen in the next few days and have a letter addressing and stuffing meeting on July 23 at 6:30pm at Sean and Anna’s house.

Late Thank you letter needs some changes.  Sally will follow up with Jose.

Fund Raising websites will be narrowed down to three sites that do not charge a monthly fee or penalize us if we don’t meet our goals.  Paying a % of what we raise on the site is ok.  Beth will bring those recommendations to the letter stuffing meeting for further discussion.

Door to Door Canvassing was discussed as a way to raise money.  Sean suggested that on a highly publicized weekend, committee members and volunteers cover a specific area and go door to door asking for money for the dog park.  They would be wearing our new, not made yet, T-shirts and would give a receipt for the money at that time and leave a door knocker.

Facebook real time events was discussed and the Facebook owner will assign rights to each event coordinator before the event so that we can tell the event story on facebook as it is happening.

Event Kit where all the items for events will be stored needs to get made and passed on from one event coordinator to the next.  Roxann will start this with the materials from the Farmers market and pass it on to Jose for P4P.

A Halloween 5k run for Haas Park and the Dog Park is being discussed by Joe Henry, Haas Park Supervisor, and Alderman Moreno.  More details late next week.

List Management and Volunteers needs to be reviewed and revised.  The report from Mike about the farmer’s market indicated that 100 names have been added to our list, but what list?  What list are the people who wanted to volunteer being added to?  Beth noted that she has come to several meetings and has not been added to any of the lists and does not get notices of the committee meetings.

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Meeting at St. John Berchman’s

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Roxann Ruiz,  Mike Doody, Michelle Georges, Beth Peterson, Melissa Ramirez, Sean Huls, and Marilyn Parsons

Meeting Minutes

Treasurer’s report: Jose was unable to attend the meeting but he updated the committee with the current balance via email. There is $24,297.27 in deposits.

Elections: We will wait until more committee members attend the meeting and hold elections.

Upcoming events: June 25 is the Pup Crawl at Mahoney’s. Melissa will get there early to set up and Roxann will bring the signs.

June 30, the committee will have a booth at the farmer’s market. Anna Huls will send around an email to the committee asking for volunteers.

Sean and Anna are having a block party on July 13. They will collect donations for the dog park.

Pints for Pups is scheduled for August 10. More planning and details to follow.

The committee will have a table at the Bucktown Arts Fest again this year.

The committee talked about setting up a Kickstarter page or something comparable to get larger donations. Beth is experienced with video and she has offered to shoot a video for the page. We will meet at Beth’s to brainstorm ideas.


Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, May 13, 2013

Meeting at St. John Berchman’s

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Roxann Ruiz,  Jose Espejo, and Michelle Georges

Meeting Minutes

Committee elections have been put on hold due to low turnout at the monthly meeting.

Treasurer’s report: Jose updated the committee with the current balance. There is $23,759.78 in deposits, not counting the revenue from the Beer Tasting event.

Upcoming events: Melissa is working on the Mahoney’s event in June. Mahoney’s lets organizations reserve a day where a portion of their sales gets donated back to the organization. The dog park’s day is June 25. We will start promoting this event and will be sure to get it included in the alderman’s newsletters.

In July we’re going to have an event at Bottles and Bottega and in August we are working with Quencher’s to have the Annual Pints for Pups event.

Fundraising: Sally presented a pledge form that she is going to send around to the committee for approval.

Jose is going to go to the Post Office on California to get a box.

We have to send out thank you cards for all the donations that have been received so far. There was an oversight and this has not been done properly. We appreciate the donations greatly and Thank Yous will be sent out to acknowledge our appreciation.

Grants: The State of Illinois has an environmental grant for open spaces that we have to look into again.

Clean up at the dog park: From now on, if anyone complains about the state of the park we will direct them to call the alderman’s office. All concerns will be forwarded to the alderman.

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes -
Tuesday, February 12, 2013
Meeting at St. John Berchman Church
In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Roxann Ruiz,  Jose Espejo, Melissa Ramirez, Mike Doody,  Sean Huls, Anna Huls, Nicole Delesandro, Michelle Georges, Ognjen Grubor and John Bannon

Meeting Minutes

New Logo and Merchandising: After many revisions, the dog park will begin using a new logo. A mass mailing was discussed.

2013 Events: We weighed all the options for events this year that we came up with at last month's brainstorm session. Some events discussed included: chef's week, prom night, casino night, craft beer classes, partnering with local breweries, movie night, a pub crawl and much more. The committee is trying to decide what events we should have that will make the most money for the park. We have to raise $50,000.

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes -
Tuesday, January 8, 2013
Meeting at Logan Theater
In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Chris Hewitt, Roxann Ruiz,  Jose Espejo, Melissa Ramirez, Mike Doody,  Sean Huls, Anna Huls, Nicole Delesandro, Michelle Georges, Ognjen Grubor and April Thomas

Meeting Minutes

The group met to brainstorm ideas for 2013 events.

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes -
Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A holiday party was held at Quenchers Saloon, 2401 N. Western Ave. Thank you to all who attended and a special thanks to Earl, the owner, who donated a portion of the proceeds to the dog park.

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes -
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
Meeting at St. John Berchman Church

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Chris Hewitt, Roxann Ruiz,  Jose Espejo, Melissa Ramirez, Shawn Smith, Mike Doody,  and August Appleton

Meeting Minutes

Copies of the minutes will be sent around to the board for approval. Once approved, the minutes will be posted to the website.

Maintenance: August Appleton must officially resign from the committee. He is moving. He reported that the last cleanup went well and about 12 people showed up. He suggests we get a few loads of woodchips to spread on the areas of the park that become really muddy when it rains. We’ll look into getting them.

Beneful Dream Dog Park Contest: Roxanne received word that the winner of the contest will be chosen in a few weeks. [Update: Unfortunately, Roxanne and her dog Nacho did not win.]

Treasurer’s report: No updates since last meeting.

Holiday Event: Committee members have a meeting with Quenchers to see if we can partner with them to hold a meeting/party. Our goal is to use this meeting as a way to thank volunteers, meeting neighbors and recruiting new volunteers. December 11 is the desired date. The committee members will report back to the group with further details.

Marketing: Mike and Shawn presented the group with a sample door hanger. The committee would like to design a hand out to give to interested people.

Bio-Bags was generous enough to donate 2,500 poop bags for the dog park. The park will receive discounts on future orders.

Mural: An update was sent to Maria at Friends of the Parks. An idea was brought up about contacting the Art Institute to see if we can get students to help with the mural.

Schedule of Events: The group decided to hold fewer events in 2013. The goal is to have a larger event – like an annual fundraiser – instead of smaller events.

Volunteers: We need to create a sub-committee devoted to the recruitment of new volunteers. Focus on getting and retaining new volunteers.

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes -
Tuesday, October 9, 2012
Meeting at St. John Berchman Church

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Chris Hewitt, Sarah Hewitt, Shawn Smith, Jose Espejo, Anna Huls, Mike Doody and Jo Keegstra

Meeting Minutes

Copies of the minutes will be sent around to the board for approval. Once approved, the minutes will be posted to the website.

Treasurer’s report: To date we have $23,133.60 in deposits.

Halloween parade will be held on October 28. Prizes will be donated by Play and Logan Pets. Sally will be in charge of registration and the parade will end at Haas Park. We will have games at the park and hopefully a petting zoo.

Shawn designed the flyer to promote the parade and also an informational flyer that can be handed out at events. We will get some posters printed in Spanish.

St. John Berchman’s is holding their Fall Fest on October 27 and they invited us to set up a table to educate the public about the park. Sally will work the table.

The committee spoke briefly about doing something special over the holidays. This discussion will continue at next month’s meeting.

We talked about the mural and decided we have to start focusing on moving forward with this. The planning committee is going to meet and we’ll discuss this next month.

We would like to start working on securing grants. We have to reenergize the committee that is working on this.

The maintenance committee reported that the park is fairly clean. We don’t see the need to have a cleanup day prior to the Halloween parade. Some of the signs that are attached to the fence have fallen off. August will send the pdf to Mike so we can get more printed.

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes -
Tuesday, September 11, 2012
Meeting at St. John Berchman Church
In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Chris Hewitt, Roxann Ruiz, Nicole Dalesandro, Jose Espejo, Anna Huls and August Appleton

Meeting Minutes

Copies of the minutes will be sent around to the board for approval. Once approved, the minutes will be posted to the website.

Treasurer’s report: Pints for Pups had a total of 61 paid attendees. After expenses, the profit was $2,164.89.

2012 fundraising total earned to date $5,613.48.

The board thought we had a lot of events this year and a lot of the same people attended. We should expand our area to reach people who live on the other side of Western.  The topic of working with a professional fundraising person was brought up. This might help with our efforts. We have to think of ways to contact other neighborhood organizations.

The Bucktown Arts Fest and the Logan Square Farmer’s Market were very successful. Many people were interested in learning more about the dog park. We need more volunteers to man the tables. It was difficult and the same people volunteered at many events.

 The board will start working on the 2013 schedule in November.

The Halloween Parade will be on October 27 or October 28 this year. This is the same day as St. John’s Fest and the Unity Park Pumpkin Fest. Sally will talk to Haas Park and St. John’s officials to determine which day will work best for us and to find out the details of St. John's festival. We want to have hayrides for the kids. We have to plan the route.

The marketing department ordered and received koozies, which were sold at the Dunlay’s event. Any marketing materials need to have the Friends of the Parks logo. We have to work on a new handout to pass out at events.

Thank you cards will be sent to all of the individuals and companies that donated something to the Pints for Pups event. We are very grateful for their help and they need to be thanked.

We don’t have an artist to paint the mural yet. We have a $500 grant from the Friends of the Parks that we have to use or we will lose it. We plan to buy paint with it. Once we secure and artist we will give them the paint.

The maintenance committee reported that the park has remained relatively clean. All the committee members who visit the park take extra bags and pick up the poop from the visitors who don’t clean up after their dog. A bolt on the gate is loose and we have to get a part from Home Depot to fix it. The fence is holding up well. We have a problem with glass at the park. Years of dumping has unearthed a lot of glass and everyone keeps picking up it. The signs at the park are holding up nicely. We might get some mulch to put down.

Petsmart dropped off 100 tennis balls for the dogs. That was a nice surprise.

We will have a clean-up day before the Halloween parade. Be at the park at 10:00 am on October 20 to help.
Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes -
Tuesday, August 14, 2012
Meeting at St. John Berchman Church
In Attendance: Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Roxann Ruiz, Chris Hewitt, Sarah Hewitt, Nicole Dalesandro, Jose Espejo, Mike Doody, Anna Huls, and April Thomas

Pints for Pups Event—Dunlay’s event on September 8th is moving along smoothly.  We plan to have a raffle, split-the-pot, Boulevard Buddy, and silent auction items for sale. We will set up a table for the raffle items and silent autction items inside Dunlay's. We will set up a separate area for check-in and sell other items such as koozies.  April will email list of raffle items so we can let people know what will be available at the event.

Boulevard Buddy Mural—We plan to paint a small area soon and do the rest later; we still need design ideas. No update on power washing the wall.  91 tickets sold for a profit of $795.00. We printed 500 tickets.
Other updates:

·         No updates on grant writing.
·         Beneful contest entry deadline is September 22nd. Everyone is asked to apply. Beneful is giving one lucky winner $500,000 to be used to build the ultimate dog park.
·         Every Block is a good way to communicate with our supporters.
·         Small business donations total $1,750.00 so far.
·         Bucktown Arts Fest raised a total of $921.00.
Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes -
Tuesday, July 10, 2012
Meeting at St. John Berchman Church
In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Kim Pool, Roxann Ruiz, Nicole Dalesandro, Jose Espejo, Mike Doody, Michelle Georges, Melissa Ramirez and Ognjen Grubor
Mutts & Margaritas event - 81 people attended. We made $1800 after expenses.
Wine Tasting Event—Event to be held at a private residence on July 27th.  We need to share event on Facebook closer to the date to be sure we have a good turnout.
Pints for Pups Event—Planning for Dunlay’s event on September 8th is going very well. April is working on a list of businesses that need to be contacted for donations.
Summer Sessions Event—We discussed selling Boulevard Buddy raffle tickets, taking donations and bringing petitions along to be signed. We will set up a table and have a doggie car wash and treats.
Boulevard Buddy Mural—$375 net profit after printing costs.  We will paint 2 panels.  Request for design is ongoing.  We can use Facebook, Twitter to get ideas from the community. 
Donation letter is written and ready to go out.   
Other updates:




·         Janice from the park district will give us a report showing expenses related to building a dog park; Park to be 8,000 square feet.

·         Performing Arts group, Mother Girl approached Roxann and asked if they could use the dog park space on September 14-16 to put on a play.  They will provide everything.






Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes -

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Meeting at St. John Berchman Church
In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Chris Hewitt, Sarah Hewitt, Kim Pool, Roxann Ruiz, Jose Espejo, Mike Doody, April Thomas, August Appleton, Michelle Georges, Melissa Ramirez, Tina Stanoski, Anna Huls, Nicole Dalesandro and Ognjen Grubor
 Meeting Minutes
Mutts & Margaritas Event—23 tickets have been sold so far.  Anna will get wristbands.  We will pay a $500.00 deposit to El Cid to host the event.  We will be selling Boulevard Buddy raffle tickets at the event, in addition to a 50/50 raffle.  Jose and Michelle will work the door.
Wine Tasting Event—Event is scheduled for Friday, July 27th, from 6:00pm to 9:00pm.  Jose has secured a band.  We will keep this event small & simple.  We have ordered $500.00 worth of wine for tasting.  Some vendors will be donating beer.  Goal is to sell wine.  We will send hand-written invitations to elected officials.  We will take wine orders at the event.
Pints for Pups Event—(Update provided by April)  Event is scheduled for Saturday, September 8th.  April will be meeting with Dunlay’s to discuss the event.
Halloween Event—Event is scheduled for October 27th.  We may rent a trailer for hay rides.  Sally will be co-coordinator and Mike will help.
Other updates:






·         On June 28th Sally will meet with Chicago Park District officials, either at the Haas Park community room or the church, to discuss new plans.

·         Nicole is working with Jose to create a template for grant writing.

·         Nicole has completed a letter to local businesses.
·         Battle Pug donation from Wicker Park business. More details to follow.

·         We approved the purchase of 250 koozies.

·         Discussed setting up a table at Summer Sessions, Bucktown Arts Fest and Boulevard Bash.

·         At the Farmer’s Market on August 12th we can sell dog related items.

·         Chicago Party Animals allows for organizations to hold fundraisers on Wednesday night. All proceeds would go to the park. Melissa recommends we do this.

·         Discussed maintenance of the dog park site.  Overall cleanliness, fence problems, lawn mower, open the gate late Tuesday night.

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes -
Tuesday, May 8, 2012
Meeting at St. John Berchman Church

In attendance: Sally Hamann, Chris Hewitt, Sarah Hewitt, Kim Pool, Mike Doody, Jose Espejo, Roxann Ruiz, Jo Keegstra, August Appleton, Anna Mayer Huls, Ognjen Grubor, Shawn Smith

Meeting Minutes 

"Mutts & Margaritas" event will be held at El Cid 2, 2645 N. Kedzie on Saturday, June 16 from 2 pm - 4:30 pm. Posters have been donated and tickets are for sale.

The dog safety meeting that took place on April 18 at Haas Park drew a good crowd. This was something new for the community and was very informational. We hope to continue with these classes.

Roxann updated everyone on the progress of the mural. The mural will be painted on the Kennedy Expressway wall that runs along the park. She is working with a group of artists that will paint the mural. The Boulevard Buddy Raffle is in place and some lucky winners will have a picture of their dog painted on the mural.

The marketing committee is working on a new logo and a template to be used for all future events. This will allow us to drop in new information on the template for each event to save time.

The maintenance committee has done a great job of cleaning up the site and making repairs. We are going to post signs to remind people to clean up after their dog.

The fundraising committee is working on upcoming events. There is going to be several upcoming events to raise money for the dog park. Events such as: El Cid, barbeque, Pints for Pups, farmer's markets, and street fests.

The committee talked about the Pottawatomie Dog Park. We spoke to someone who planned that park and asked him what challenges he faced and what he would do differently. This information will help us to avoid mistakes when finalizing the dog park details.

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes - 
Tuesday, March 13
Meeting at St. John Berchman Church
Meeting Minutes 

In attendance: Sally Hamann, Jennifer Brody, Shawn Smith, Jo Keegstra, Sharon Kaminecki, Ron Kaminecki, Vivian Bannor, Chris Hewitt, Sarah Hewitt, Kate Hewitt, Sean Huls, Anna Huls, Raimands Dzcline, Tina Stanoski, Ognjen Grubor, Ray Shoenfield, Robyn Nisi, Roxann Ruiz, Roger Lautt, Mike Doody, Melissa Ramirez, Nicole Dalesandro, Dana Bloom, Ed Bloom


Report on dog attacks that occurred last week near Logan Boulevard and Kedzie.  The vicitims of the attacks were in attendance and have interacted with the 14th District Court Advocacy Group, Police, Alderman, and Animal Control. 

The community has established a relief fund to pay for vet costs for the more severely injured dog, Remmy.  Remmy’s owner owns the business Shawnimals, who will be selling plush dog toys to bring awareness and to benefit the dog park.  Roger Lautt and Jose Espejo are working on a dog training course that will cover dog etiquette as well as how to handle dog fights, with the idea that this course could be offered periodically for free via the dog park.

The committee discussed a 2012 schedule of events and fundraisers.  The schedule was determined as follows:

March:  March Madness Fundraiser.

Sat. April 7, Dog “Easter Egg” Hunt and Doggie Olympics at the Dog Park Site
Leaders:  Roger Lautt (games) and TBD for “egg” (dog treat) hunt

May – Kite Building and Flying Fundraiser, for Kids.  Tentative location of Haas Park.
Leaders:  TBD

June – Bar Fund Raiser.  Tentative Location, El Cid.  
Leaders: TBD

July – BBQ and Wine Tasting.  Non-Commercial Location.
Leaders: TBD

August – Pints for Pups Fundraiser.  Dunlays on the Square
Leaders:

September – TBD / Rainout

October – Halloween Parth
Leaders:  Chris and Sarah

The committee also discussed having a planned presence at the following events and festivals:

Boulevard Bash
Milwaukee Ave. Arts Festival
Bucktown Arts Festival
Mutt Strut
Farmers’ Market Community Table

Leaders of Festival Involvement:  TBD

At the festivals, the committee plans to sell dog-related merchandise to benefit the park.  Shawn of Shawnimals will research options (such as tennis balls (with logo), bandandas, dog treats, dog collar covers.

The committee established a Merchandising / Marketing committee to work on these items and to set up eCommerce options through the dog park site.  Shawn will lead the merchandising effort, Michelle will head up the marketing effort and we will establish an official team at the next meeting.  

Advertising materials for the upcoming public meeting were distributed.  Attendance will be important, as the park district planners will be in attendance.

Jo and O.G. will work out repair needs for the temporary fence at the site and will report back, pending the outcome of the public meeting.

The mural committee is making progress but could use some technical expertise to establish the execution needs for the mural (in addition to fundraising).

Dog Park Committee elections and establishment of formal subcommittees will take place next meeting.

Adjournment.



Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes - 
Tuesday, January 3
Meeting at St. John Berchman Church
Meeting Minutes 
In attendance: Dan, Kim, Roxann, Jane, Chris, Sarah, Sally, Jose, April, O.G., Matt Marino

This meeting focussed on planning for the public meeting on Jan. 10th.  Plans include:

Discussion of site, past, present and future
Pre-2002 options discussed for site (prevented a zoning upgrade to make this a storage facility)
Open space plan

There is still some question as to who owns the land at the site.  Specifically: The Billboard, Area Under Expressway, and part of site that is privately owned. 
For the mural project, Roxann and Mike Doody talked to the executive director of IAMCS (CARA) and they support the effort. 

The South Loop DFA website gives an overview of surface options and decorative features.  The report suggests that decomposed granite (stone) is perhaps the best surface options.

The Girl Scouts have volunteered to plant a tree at the site and help make it look pretty.  

Previous discussion of planters around the columns were discussed. 
The Skokie Dog Park shelter was discussed

Committee members with ideas for consideration should email them to Chris to have them included in the collage / design charette at the event.
Committee members will show up at 6pm to help set up for the event.  

Jane Heron visited our meeting to disuss the possibility of an all-parks Brunch at El Nandu - currently planned for Sunday, 2/26 at 10AM.  Email here if you would like to attend.

We may be putting together a joint all-parks calendar at www.mainstreetlogansquare.com to allow more efficient scheduling of events and community efforts. 

At the next regular meeting we will discuss a fundraising schedule for 2012.  

Also discussed was that the Haas Park Advisory Council is hosting a fundraiser for Phil Jones, on Feb. 19th at Revolution Brewery.  Visit the Haas Park site to buy tickets. 
The next regular meeting will be in March, due to our regular meeting schedule falling on Valenties Day.

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes - 
Tuesday, December 13
Meeting at St. John Berchman Church
Meeting Minutes

The D'Noche event was successful, though small due to competing events with other community groups.  We raised $570 and had about 30 people present.  It was suggested that we need to better coordinate with other community groups to avoid conflicts for future events.

Planning for the public meeting was discussed.  The Size of the park, surface, and fence are expected to be a focus.  The event will be advertized primarily with the community list-serves, and by posting flypers.  No newspapers appear to be willing to pick up this level of advertising.  


The committee may want to enlist the services of a landscape architect to supplement the Park District's designers.  


Next month's regular meeting will be held January 3rd, ahead of the public meeting scheduled at our regular meeting time.  


Chris will do a collage of pictures for people to pick ideas from to provide a design Charette of the site. 


Park District guidelines are that DFAs are to be limited to 3.5% of the total park site.  The committee wants the entire Boulevard System counted in the accounting of the park site if this rule is to be enforced, as 3.5% is no large enough for the present area.  The committee will look at other DFAs to draw comparions. 


The Park Supervisor is not yet known (subsequent note - this was later determined to be Joe Henry)

Need to get more thorough coverage of petitions. 

The committee established a subgroup to focus on grant writing.  Potential grant sources may include Banco Popular, Liberty Bank, Bank of America, PNC, Lowes, Target, Petsmart.  The committee would like to ask August (not present) to pursue this and help lead this effort.  Michelle, April, Jose, and August (hopefully) will look to pursue the grant writing team. 


A subcommittee was established to work on the Mural project.  Roxann will chair the group.  Linda at D'Noche also has completed a similar effort on the Belmont underpass and will assist/advise on this effort.  

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes - 
Tuesday, November 8
Meeting at St. John Berchman Church
Meeting Minutes

Recap of the overwhelmingly successful parade event!  Over 300 people showed up!
Thanks to our many sponsors - see the events page

For next year:
  • a megaphone is a must
  • set a schedule for event activities so people can plan better
 Next event: "Bark the Hairy Angels Sing!" - a holiday party at D'Noche.  Only 50 spots available, but D'Noche is covering all of the costs. Sell tickets for $25 each.

A sponsor "pitch packet" is needed.  Joyce and Mike volunteered to coordinate.

As the committee gets larger, consider making committees and an "advisory board" from community and business leaders who can help to bring in donations. 


There is some trouble finding an online petition form that can be customized to the Park District requirements (i.e. allows a "no" vote)


Community meeting date is set at January 10th @ 6:30, at St. John Berchmans.


The Mural Project was discussed.  This may be a source of fundraising for a permanent installation, or could be a recurring yearly project that gets redone often.  


It was discussed that the design for the mural should be by competition, encouraging participation from the community.  


Maintenance requirements were discussed and planning needs for maintenance were thought to be an ongoing concern.  Ray S. volunteered to coordinate maintenance going forward.  He said that there is the option to sign up with the state to have probation offenders come and clean up the site.  This will be considered at a later date.


Jose has arranged for Benefit Wine sales, which will benefit the park with no cost and little effort to the committee.


Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes - 
Tuesday, October 11

Meeting at St. John Berchman Church
Meeting Minutes

Planning continued for the Howl-o-ween parade, which is to follow a route from Haas Park to the Dog Park site.  The permit was submitted to the park district and was approved.  
  • The Phodographer followed up and provided advertising and preview information.  Dan will check with Paws to see if they will cross-advertise the event. 
  • Sarah will arrange tickets for the 50/50 raffle and the games
  • Roxann will coordinate the prizes - dog prizes were provided by Logan Pets, Caio Napoli so far.  Harry at Bucktown Food and Liquor is providing water.
  • The aldermen will be asked to act as judges. 
  • Jose will get cider and cookies for 100 people.
  • OG will get pinatas
  • St. John Berchmans will allow us to use their basement as a backup.
  • The committee will meet at 12:30 to setup for the events
  • April will coordinate the thank yous
  • Jose will bring a first aid kit
  • The Goethe school band has committed to come
For next year we should try to get a jumping jack. 
We will have a cleanup of the park the week before the event (Saturday the 29th at 10AM)
Sally is coordinating petitions on the 5 block radius.  There appears to be lots of support.  Mike Doody will work on an online petition with Sally
OG will get a listing box to hang at the site.  
Sally will ask Rey about getting trash cans for the site
The committee needs to plan 3 committee meetings.  The first will be planned for January.  Need to get the word out as broadly as possible. IDOT should be invited to the meetings.

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes - Tuesday, September 12
Meeting at St. John Berchman Church
Meeting Minutes
In attendance: Sally Hamann, Jose Espejo, Chris Hewitt, Paul Combs, Ognjen Grubor, Dan Kasburger, Ron Kaminski, Anna Mayer, Roxanne Ruiz, Mike Doody, John Lenzen, Sharon Kaminecki.

We will start working on petitions.  We must try to get 100% coverage of the area bounded by George to the North, Levitt to the East, Washtenaw to the West, and Palmer to the South.  Sally is coordinating the assignment of blocks and each committee member is asked to take a block.

Mike will set up an online petition for the park, to demonstrate the significant interest of the community in the project.

The successful pints for pups fundraiser was reviewed.  We raised approximately $3700 at the event. 

Jose will write up thank-you letters.  Jose can send these to individual donors.  Sarah will send these to silent auction contributors.

For future events, it was also discussed that we should look into Chicago party animals.  The dog-friendly space can be rented for $200.

Planning was started for our Halloween event.  It was agreed to hold the event on 10/30 at 2:00 (Bears Bye Week!). 

The event will include:

Costume Parade
Dog Photos
50/50 raffle
Kids' Games
Candy
Dog Treats
Music - Possibly the Goethe Band or other performers (Mike Doody is to follow up)
Prizes for Best Costumes - Roxanne will coordinate
Carnival Prizes - possibly from MK Brody
Pinata

The phodographer has booked the date for us.  They will offer a Basic 4x6 photo package for $15.  $13 of the cost goes to the park.  Any additional sales coming out of the event will be split with the park 50/50.

Sally, Jose and Chris will work out the route before the next meeting and get the permit application in (subsequently determined to start at Haas Park and end at the Dog Park site)

The event will be branded as a celebration of Halloween and Dia de los Muertos
It was suggested to look at the "mutt strut" as a model for future similar events.

Next meeting, 2nd Tues of October


Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes - Tuesday, August 9
Meeting at St. John Berchman Church
Meeting Minutes
In attendance:  Ray Schoenfeld, Sarah Hewitt, Chris Hewitt, Jose Espejo, Sally Hamann. Carlos Alfaro, Mike Doody, Denise Colletti, Jo Ann Trainer, August Appleton, April Thomas, Tina Stanoski

The primary topic of conversation at this meeting was planning for the kick-off fundraiser at Dunlays.  Several items were donated, including wine from Bucktown Food and Liquor, A Frank Lloyd Wright Tour, Handmade Ceramic Dog Dish, Frog Temple Pilates, etc.  Mutt Hut donated $100 cash.

For the event, April will arrange for nametags.
Chris will finalize the event list, will set up credit card access, and will get a poster of the park with pictures from the open space plan for sponsor recognition.
Sarah will coordinate auction items - please have all items to her in advance of the event.
Sally will ask the Alderman for a no-parking sign, and will see if he will speak at the event.
The sign up deadline is August 15th. 
A future Halloween Event was discussed and will be the topic of the next meeting.  Components of this could include a costume contest, polaroids for folks with dressed up dogs, a dog artist, etc. 
Also, Harry at the Corner Store offered to supply water for our future events at the site, which is greatly appreciated.
It was discussed that we should adopt a system similar to public radio, with recurring donations.  Chris will look into this.
August will draft a "pitch packet" and a letter to potential corporate sponsors.
The need for a more formal periodic newsletter was discussed.
The next Committee meeting will be on Sept. 13th.

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes - Tuesday, July 12

Meeting at the Hewitt home (St. John Berchmann was suffering from a power outage!)

Meeting Minutes
July 12, 2011.

In attendance:  April Thomas, August Appleton, Bill Cherne, Ognjen Grubor, Paul Combs, Ray Schoenfeld, Sarah Hewitt, Chris Hewitt, Jose Espejo, Sally Hamann.

To date the committee has raised $663 for the park - not a large amount, but a solid beginning for our initial efforts at fundraising!

After researching it, Ray discussed that the idea of a dunk tank at the Boulevard Bash appears to be cost prohibitive at this time.

The discussions of the committee at this gathering focussed on the upcoming cleanup, and the fundraiser and Dunlays. 

Rey Colon arranged for mowing at the site in anticipation of the clean up, and the alderman is providing rakes, bags, and other supplies. 

The group decided to buy supplies to hang signs at the site to claim the site for the dog park!  It was also decided that we should purchase some water bowls for this and future events to give the dogs a place to drink.

The group discussed planning for the upcoming Pints for Pups Fundraiser. 

Advertising for the group was reviewed.  Local graphic designer Kristin Egan was kind enough to offer her design services for the poster. 

The group settled on pricing of $40 for the event.  Tickets must be purchased in advance.  All sales will be online for ease of tracking.

Jose will get in touch with other wards for promotion of the event. 

Chris will send the group letters for soliciation of donations.  April will set up a spreadsheet to track donors.  All committee members are requested to sell tickets and solicit silent auction donations.

A 50/50 raffle was also suggested for the event.

The group also discussed a mailing in conjunction with Rey Colon to promote the dog park and the alderman's newsletter.  The group was generally in support of this combined effort.

The need for a pitch packet was discussed.  Chris is to work on this.

Bill will work on a facebook fan page for the dog park.

OG and Ray volunteered to promote the dog park at the Farmer's Market.  Chris will supply posters, and Ray will arrange a table, etc.

The idea of t-shirt sales was discussed. OG will look into this.

Future ideas for fundraisers were also discussed for future consideration, including:

Wine and cheese at Bob's house
Dog Wash Fundraiser
Dog Walks (with shirts)
Walk for a cause (with your dogs)
Sponsor plaques to be placed at the park
Advertise in paper
Host a doggie photo shoot, perhaps at Pet Smart
worthycausefundraising.com

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes - Tuesday, June 14
Meeting at St. John Berchman’s
Meeting Minutes
June 14, 2011.

In attendance:  Greg Moehn, Ognjen Grubor, Paul Combs, Ray Schoenfeld, Sarah Hewitt, Chris Hewitt, Jose Espejo, Sally Hamann.

Since the last meeting, the committee successfully opened a bank account at North Community Bank, as well as a PayPal account linked to the bank account through our website.  The Hewitt family contributed the initial $100 required to open the account.

The committee continued planning for our first fundraising event, which will be set for August 20th.  Logistics for the venue were discussed.  Dunlays on the Square volunteered to host the event and will be getting back to the group with pricing options.  The alternative plan would be a cocktail hour at "Bob's Back Yard" - a local neighbor event. 

It was also decided that our July 16th Event will be a clean-up at the future park site.  Chris will send an email on local listserves announcing the event.

Sally will work on initial signage and fliers / "fact sheets" so that we can get the word out about the committee at the farmers' market and other local events. Chris will talk to some friends to see if they would be willing to help to graphically design the fliers.

Paul will look into the feasibility of having a dunk tank at the Boulevard Bash.

Sally will talk to Bob Foster to see what the petitioning requirements are for the park and will draft an "official" petition in advance of our events.

Sally will speak with Rey Colon about getting the city to mow the site in advance of the clean up and will see if the city has provisions for garbage bags/pickup and other supplies for community clean ups.   

It was discussed whether or not it would be appropriate to get temporary snow fencing for the site.  Ray Schoenfield will look into the cost of this for the next meeting.

Next meeting, July 12


Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes - Tuesday, May 10

Meeting at St. John Berchman’s
Meeting Minutes
May 10, 2011
In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Chris Hewitt, Ray Schoenfeld, Jose Espejo, Chris Tate, Jo Keegstra, and Emma Keegstra.
The Park District has given us a letter of support (many thanks to John Gay!), allowing the financial sponsorship to be established and a bank account opened.  We should have a bank account available before the next meeting and can establish a PayPal button on our website to accept donations.  The executive committee will all be signers on the account, and we plan to establish the account at North Community Bank, the supporters of PAWS.
To give the committee some seed money to plan events, it was decided that, as suggested by Alderman Colon at the last meeting, we will establish memberships to support the Dog Park Committee.  The membership levels will vary by level of donation, and donations will be tiered at: $10/$50/$100/$250/$500/$1000+. 
Our “Top Dogs” will be acknowledged by levels, such as:  Chihuahuas, Beagles, Bulldogs, Boxers, Retrievers, St. Bernard.  
(subsequent note: which donor gets the title of the true “Top Dog”!?!)
At this time, donors will be acknowledged on our website, along with the names of their dogs, if they desire.  At a certain (TBD) level, pictures of the donors with their dogs can be included.  Further exposure will be developed through signage at the site and at fundraising events.  Sally will speak with the Park District about naming rights and permanent acknowledgements that can be established at the site.
The group discussed plans for a fundraiser, to be held the weekend of July 16th (or July 17th, depending on venue).  It was thought before the meeting the Polar Pups would have ideas on this, but they were not able to attend to discuss their ideas. 
Chris and Sally will establish the venue before the next meeting, but it is intended to be a “block party” themed event.  In order of preference, we will explore the following venues for their feasibility so that the event can be planned in earnest at the next meeting:
1.       Revolution Brewery or Dunlay's on the Square – Chris will ask the owners if they would be willing to sponsor us.
2.       Dog Park Site BBQ (with beer), with St. John Berchman as a rain backup – Sally will see what this would involve with the city, by talking with Rey.
3.       The New Flat Iron Arts Center – Sally will talk with Rey to see if this is an option.
4.       Bob’s Back Yard (near the site) – Thanks Bob.  Great idea, but there is some concern about rain so for now this is a back up option.
All committee members will approach local businesses for a silent auction to be held at the event and to bring at least one donated item (or commitment) to the next meeting.  Particular leads included dog artists and local restaurants.
Other fundraising options discussed for further exploration include:  Dunk Tank at the Boulevard Bash (Emma confirmed that the price to rent the tank is $195/day - Chris will follow up), Event with the Milwaukee Art Fest (we will get Rey's thoughts on this), Dog Wash event (Jo will determine the logistics of this). 
The group is going to develop a “pitch packet” before the next meeting for approaching larger donors. Chris will work on letters / receipts for donors , Jose will see if he can get a graphic designer lined up for the “pitch packet” , Sally and Chris will work out the written content for the pitch packet.
Next meeting, June 14 

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes - Tuesday, April 12
Meeting at St. John Berchman’s
In attendance: Jo Keegstra, Lynn Steadman, Bob Grahm, Ray Shaw, Jose Espejo, Sally Hamann, Chris Hewitt, Rey Colon.
The committee discussed the recent dog park tour (see pictures on website), and Jo discussed the site history, due to her proximity to the site and still current ownership of a portion of the parcel.
The committee discussed the feasibility of putting up a temporary fence and wood chips to identify the future dog park location and assist with community buy in toward fundraising.  This will be explored for its practicality with various authorities.
Work on establishing a bank account is advancing.  We need only a letter from John Gay at the Park District indicating their support for the project in order to get this started.  There has been some difficulty getting John to respond to this, so Rey is asked to follow up with him. (John subsequently followed up by phone, but the letter still has not arrived)
North Community Bank was suggested as a possible partner, as they were involved with starting Paws.
The current open officer positions were filled.  Jose will act as Treasurer (Rob resigned due to his moving to San Diego), Jo will act as Vice President.
Lynn, who is an event planner by profession, will looking into venues with Jose and will begin planning a fundraising event for July.  Some venues suggested were Revolution Brewery, Logan Square Kitchen, and St. John Berchman’s.  A Beer Raffle was discussed.  The committee will need to approach businesses for donations for a raffle or silent auction.  It was also suggested that we have people join as “members” for a fee ~$25.  It was also suggested that the church may do a dog blessing for the feast of St. Francis.
The committee disbanded to visit the site and discuss the proper location on the site for the dog park.

Logan Square Dog Park Meeting Minutes - Feb. 24, 2011

In Attendance:  Sally Hamann, Ron Kaminecki, Chris Hewitt, Rob Dieringer, Tony Porfino, Bob Foster, Phil Jones, Rey Colon, Jose Espejo
Officers were established for the Dog Park Committee, to include Sally Hamann as President of the Committee, Rob Dieringer as Treasurer, and Chris Hewitt as Secretary.
The group met with Bob Foster, from the Park District, to discuss the beginning steps for the Dog Park.  The following topics were discussed:
1. A site plan and survey was provided.  Bob indicated that Parcels A and C have been acquired by the city, however, Parcel B (the smallest of the three) is still pending.  Given the layout of the site, however, the project could go forward with only Parcels A and C, if needed.  The site plan was provided only to give the scale of a typical dog friendly area in relation to the size of the site and does not represent the final size or placement.

2. The typical total budget for a dog friendly area is $150,000, which includes all costs, including fencing, play surface, utilities/water source, etc.  The actual cost will be estimated after the scope of the project is better defined.

3. Typically, ½ of the cost of the dog friendly area is borne by the Park District, and ½ is provided by fundraising (i.e. $75,000).  Potential sources of fundraising may include private donors, state grants, open space impact fees, or TIF funding.

4. The Dog Park Committee is only responsible for raising the portion of the funds associated with the Dog Friendly Area, and the group is not responsible for raising funds for the development of the rest of the parcel.  

5. Development of the remainder of the parcel will be coordinated with the Haas Park Advisory Council.  The possibility of a mural at the highway wall, sculpture garden, or other passive features was discussed for the remaining portion of the site.

6. The Dog Park Committee will be responsible for cleanup of the DFA, or for finding sponsorships to cover the cleanup.

Future actions agreed upon:

In addition to emails, Sally will collect names and phone numbers of committee members.

Rob will work with Friends of the Parks to set up a bank account for the committee so that fund raising can be started.

It was agreed that the committee would visit the DFAs at 3 other parks to decide on aspects of the DFA to include in the scope of the Gateway Park project.  It is thought desirable that as many of the Dog Park Committee members as possible visit the same sites to reflect upon a common base of experiences.  Sites suggested to visit included:

  1.            Adams-Sangamon Park, Adams/ Peoria
  2.            Margate Park, 4921 N. Marine Dr.
  3.            Ward Park (Erie Park), 630 N. Kingsbury St. 
  4.            Walsh Dog Park, 1722 N. Ashland Ave.
The committee will try to visit at least 3 of these parks prior to the next meeting and will discuss the scope of the project at the next meeting, based on the observations during the visits. 

We will reach out to the advisory councils for these recently established parks and invite them to attend our next meeting, or tour the parks with us, to learn from their experiences.

Once the scope of the project is better established and the committee’s infrastructure is in place, we will plan a roll-out fundraising event to kick off fundraising for the DFA.  (Bar event, dog costume parade, or the like.

The next meeting will be scheduled for April 12 at 6:30.  The committee will try to keep to a regular schedule, meeting on the Second Tuesday of Each month.  The next meeting will be at St. John Berchman’s School, adjacent to the site, so that we can better access the site to visualize the construction of the park. 

Proceedings of the Chicago Park District Public Meeting
The committee provided testimony to the Board of Commissioners of the Chicago Park District.  The minutes of that meeting may be found here